1949 Studebaker Commander. - Page 2
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1949 Studebaker Commander.

you and die cast model....
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Love the Stude-pecker! There is one that runs the local gasser circuit. Very cool project, keep us posted!
    Lon

That die cast model is really cool. I love the stance, and everything about it. Thanks for sharing.
    Today I got the car on my lift and went through the interior and vacuumed and cleaned up.
    Then got it up in the air to thoroughly check out the under carriage.
    This car is solid! No rust anywhere to be found. I am so happy with it so far. This Packard 289 runs really good.
    I'm looking at the whole thing and trying to figure out just where to start.
    This is my first Gasser build, so please correct me if I am going down the wrong path here, but I am thinking that I need to get the rear end, wheels and tires installed to the height I want first.
    Then set the front straight axle to the height I want it to end up.
    I'm thinking that maybe the engine I will be running should be in to get a good front end height with weight on the springs?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I'd do the straight axle first, with the present engine in. Those old Packards are heavy enough that regardless what engine you end up with, it will simulate it well. The rear height can be simulated by unhooking the shackles and blocking the axle/frame up to the ride height you like. That will let you set the kingpin angle, etc. up front. Then once the front is mocked up, you can drop back to the rear to determine what you need to do to achieve the ride height you had mocked up. Could be as simple as new leaf springs, or dropping the axle below the springs to achieve a ride height you want.
    Vall

Thanks Vall, that makes perfect sense.
    This is why I'm coming to the guys with the experience.
    I had the honor this weekend to meet the gentleman who bought this car new in 1949! He was/is a local paint and body legend.
    He then sold it to his buddy Richard, who is also a local, long time paint and body expert. Richard ended up doing a frame off restoration in the mid 60's. That was when he installed the Packard V-8, power brakes and power steering and rear air conditioning.
    In fact, Richard is the one who painted my '34 Ford 3 window's ghost flames.

When he passed away a couple years ago the Studey went to his kids, who I just bought it from.
    I made a point to talk to all the living, previous owners, about what my plans for the car are, and they told me that they were very excited to see it when its done.
    Last edited by tlap; 06-27-2016 at 03:45 PM.

I have made a little progress acquiring parts. I picked up a Weiand tunnel ram and two Holley 600 vac carbs.
    Two rear American Racing wheels and a Ford 9".
    I layed out the location of where the wheels will be centered inside the fender wells, then measured for axle width. Next I will prep the 9" housing and narrow it, weld on spring perches and get the pie new crust slicks installed on these wheels.

I absolutely love the wheels. You can never go wrong with original style American Torque Thrusts and piecrust slicks. Matter of fact I'm picking up a pair of 8 1/2 X 15 old style Torque Thrusts tomorrow, just to have them. Found them on CL for $300.
    Yeah, I know Lash; I'm hoarding!
    Last edited by sbauman2; 07-06-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Me too Steve, now I just have to find the fronts. I may just get the new TTO's.

Nice finds there guys....I didnt say parts hoarders I said parts whore's..........................lol...cant get enough
    Lash

love those wheels. I would love a set all around the MG. great find
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements