Gasser HotRod Forums banner

My 74 MG Gasser Project

417K views 3K replies 42 participants last post by  mmhotrod 
#1 ·
I had a vision of a v8 MG and then I thought of the nose in the air over an I Beam Axle rolling down the street in Gasser fashion. So last winter I started taking the car apart and building my vision. I stopped the project in April of 2012 and just picked up on it again. The first few pixs will show how much of a mess the floors were.

Attachments

See less See more
#2,857 · (Edited)
I took a minute while working from home to check the carb linkage on the MG. I noticed that in the first pic the lock collar was hitting the fuel inlet. Then it actually stuck behind it. I then noticed that the collar was not where it was supposed to be. It slid down a ways. I then moved it back in pic 2. And you can see in the 3rd pic it clears by a good distance when full throttle now. I tried calling edelbrock about another lock collar and they said Enderle injection produces the kits they sell. Enderle has not answered the phone yet. And yeah Lash I kept hearing your spring comment. It was relaxed and not much tension so I shortened the second carb spring so it pulls back quick now. Thanks for that. And again I did not get full throttle while that collar had moved thank god. Imagine if it was full when it stuck. Now where is that Costco diaper coupon.

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Engineering
Motor vehicle Self-propelled artillery Combat vehicle Office equipment Office supplies

#2,858 · (Edited)
I looked on Amazon and I found a 5/16 collar for 1.97. After my credit it was 00. I think with prime delivery its a no brainer. I just got it Saturday so I put it on. I wanted a double insurance that the stuck pedal won't happen again. first pic is installed and second pic is wide open throttle. you can see the collar won't reach the fuel line again. accelerator pump is topped out at full throttle and missing the collar so it won't hit that for sure too. I will probably drill the shaft so the allen screw will set in further but I want to be sure it is in a good place first.

Gas Auto part Household hardware Metal Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive wheel system

#2,860 ·
no I can't Vall. the lock nut will hit the rod above.

#2,862 ·
I hope I'm as smart as you when I get older Mario. That simple fix certainly falls into the KISS category Mario, way to go.
Lol Damn kids. When will they learn. Actually I felt the same way as Frank did on this one. :). I could have removed the shaft and drilled a divot to keep the screw where it wouldn’t travel but this seemed so easy for Frank to fix.

#2,863 ·
I pushed myself to go to the garage tonight. Vall is putting me to shame. I could hardly walk the past 2 days. Left leg is out of commission. I slept for 2 hrs and got my leg back. So I Put the table out and started tracing and cutting out the left door panel. Did some of the right panel and a nasty thunderstorm came through. Finished up the cut and ran in the house.
now I gotta do something to finish this up. Little progress is still progress.

Wood Floor Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

#2,864 ·
Some thing is better than nothing...I think some times doing a little at a time...is more fun and stems the juices to keep going and not burn out...and some times do a better job...I find also some times it keeps me awake at night... because I come up with a better idea and can not wait to try it...what did you decide on material for the panels...boy that was a lot of some times

#2,865 ·
sometimes you have to use a lot of sometimes I know I’ve been there and I know you’ve been there ha ha. Ever since I saw a 55 Chevy locally with the diamond material I fell in love with it and I just never did anything about it. Recently Brandon did his 55 with diamond then Vall did also a smaller diamond and because These guys are great examples of hot riding I followed suit with my dream. I know it looks like I’m copying but it was my original dream to have the diamond material in the coop so I’m practicing on the MG first.
Vall has been a major motivation for me. He is just so enthusiastic that it rubs off on me and I have to thank him for that.

#2,866 ·
Looks great Mario! And someone way before Brandon and me did diamond, so we're all copying somebody else! But how can you not love diamond, roll and pleat, or tuck and roll on any hotrod? I personally love the high end custom interiors, but they're way out of place on my hotrods.

#2,867 ·
Another quick garage night. I cut out the rest of the 2nd door panel and realized I didn’t mirror the cuts so the white is facing in. I really don’t think it will matter with the spray glue. Frank would have never done that. During this evening venture I noticed that the top door molding has to be bolted in before the door panel which also means it has to be covered first. It has the channel grooved for the door panel to slip in under. So that is for another night. Hey sometimes you gotta go easy.
Wood Tire Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle
Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Fixture Composite material

#2,868 ·
#2,869 · (Edited)
So I tried glueing the top door covers on with what I had on hand which was the 3M 77 spray adhesive. It was new and I had to try it. It held fine until morning. I had to run my finger over the edges of the wrap. I also found some contact cement in a quart on my shelf. Years ago I did an 80 monte headliner and it was left over from that. Wherever the spray didn’t work the contact cement would. So here is what I got on the top moldings.

Wood Office supplies Font Gun barrel Tool
Wood Font Office supplies Hardwood Metal
Rectangle Textile Sleeve Grey Cylinder

#2,870 · (Edited)
Saturday I started working on the door panel. It was crazy trying to keep the same door clips and have them work in my new door panel tracing that I cut out with a jigsaw no less. It was crazy blind guessing where everything lines up. While checking all my door hardware I noticed the pull strap not only was the wrong color but the end caps where missing so the strap would be dog ugly and i left it off till the new ones would show up. I had to order from moss motors in California with their overpriced catalog. But I finally got it to line up and good thing I had my dremel tool which collects dust for years but with a porting bit works wonders where you need to make clearance on the door panel holes that didn't line up. With the material already glued in place I couldn't use the jigsaw anymore so the dremel was my savior. Well till the straps get here, this is what the door panel looks like in place on the left side. Maybe today I will attempt the right side and differently I might add.
View attachment 103567 View attachment 103569 View attachment 103571

Attachments

#2,872 ·
It didn’t show that when I saved it. Things seem to be getting further apart for me and my posting.

#2,876 ·
I owe it all to you. Now if you could help me find the strap screw holes without taking off the panel It would be much appreciated. Lol

#2,878 ·
did you notice there were lots of holes? In the panels? :)

#2,879 ·
Well I didn’t finish the driver side but I needed to attack the passenger side while it was fresh in my mind. This panel came out so much more accurate at the panel clip holes. trick is to fit the panel to the door without the fabric on it. Rotate the clips and mark them where they were.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Beige Font
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Black
Tire Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Vehicle

#2,881 ·
Both Frank and I appreciate it very much. He held the panel while I lined up the clips. He’s very helpful around the garage.

#2,885 ·
I noticed that but when I get to the coupe I will have to pucker up but with button covers possibly.

thanks everyone. Just to be Frank!

#2,886 ·
I finished up the driver side with the strap. I removed the panel and after scratching my head for a while, I came up with some model clay on the inside of the door panel and made an impression to make sure the holes in the panel were accurate. And it was so I stuck my dentist pic through the fabric with confidence.

Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Automotive exterior Asphalt
Hood Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Grey Material property

#2,887 ·
Nice

very nice Mario. And if Frank was handing you the tools and you asked for a dental pick, he handed you a Craftsman scribe; I have the same 3 piece set. Tell him to get his shit together before he screws up and hands you a tool that you mess up your job with LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2,888 ·
Let me ask you guys a question. Frank wants to sell the MG. So do I. What would you think a fast sell price would be for it? You won’t hurt Franks feelings. So be honest. I’m talking set it out there and set the hook fast. Well not that fast. Just don’t want to scare people away.