Gasser HotRod Forums banner

My 74 MG Gasser Project

417K views 3K replies 42 participants last post by  mmhotrod 
#1 ·
I had a vision of a v8 MG and then I thought of the nose in the air over an I Beam Axle rolling down the street in Gasser fashion. So last winter I started taking the car apart and building my vision. I stopped the project in April of 2012 and just picked up on it again. The first few pixs will show how much of a mess the floors were.

Attachments

See less See more
#2,827 ·
I think 15" will take a very long time to go extinct! There's just far too many vehicles still needing them, so as long as sales stay up, they'll keep supplying them.

But my local tire store told me that finding skinny 165-15 front tires is getting almost impossible now! He said they make a run once a year, and they sell out quickly. After that they wont make them for another year. He said old VW's were about the only ones using them besides hotrodders. So they sell so few they're trying to just stop.

#2,828 ·
Well that’s disappointing news. I like those skinny vw tires. They’re a good alternative to Mickey Thompson. Cheaper too. Like everything else supply and demand raising the prices till they’re gone.

#2,829 ·
Guys I usually got this carb stuff down but I’m seeing smoke on a cold start when the choke is on 3/4 closed. It’s blueish smoke like too much fuel and wet with a little oil burn. Like fuel is washing down the cylinders. I changed to a 5hg power valve and dropped down to a 74 jet size. Engine runs great warmed up and smoke is gone but I’m wondering if one of my carbs is leaking down into intake. My plugs were wet and crusted black from the beginning of the break in 3 years ago. I did make a few changes along the way so I can’t nail it down yet. I need to pull the plugs and check the 74 jets to see if the plugs are still getting wet. They are so hard to get out with these headers. I have 8 different ways of removing each and every one. From box wrench to straight socket to flex socket with long extension to rubber gas line to in screw them in and out. It took me over an hour to pull them last Friday night and clean them up. I am curious as to how they look after my last drive to the beach. I know something is definitely wrong when it needs a pump of the pedal to start but it smokes on initial startup like a valve seal issue or even a ring problem but all eight plugs were dirty. Just bouncing off you guys. I’m wondering if my second carb is leaking down on startup. Maybe power valve is too high too as it sits. We shall see.

#2,830 ·
Maybe it's as simple as a bad needle seat on the floats Mario? Have you pulled the air cleaners after you shut it off to see if any gas is trickling in after the engine is shut down? That's usually when it's happened, or shown up when I had a stuck needle, or bad needle or seat.

#2,832 ·
Lash I never saw this post. Thanks. It’s definitely fuel stank. It straightened out now. I must have been washing down my cylinders. The last jet and power valve change got me pretty close. Plugs were all black fuel Fowled.

#2,834 ·
I had the MG 3spd Saginaw with hurst comp shifter, clutch,pressure plate, flywheel, bell housing, hydraulic throw out bearing all for sale on Facebook for 425 bucks for the whole deal. I’ve been trying to sell it for almost 3 years. It’s been in my way in the garage and finally gone. I invested about 225 total so I made 2 bills and got to use it too. The hoarder in me wanted to keep it. I sold it a month ago but because of Covid I told him he needed to wait a while to be safe.

#2,836 ·
Congratulations

on the sale Mario. I know what you mean about hoarding and not wanting to sell shit. I'm the same way about the 2 pair of skinny slots and tires I have and the full set of big n little Torque Thrust D wheels and tires I have. Ever since I finally put the skinny Torque Thrust wheels on both cars I keep thinking "what if I want to ever put the skinny slots back on". I know I never will and I'm constantly having to move all 6 wheels and tires out of the way. What the hell is wrong with me?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

#2,837 · (Edited)
on the sale Mario. I know what you mean about hoarding and not wanting to sell shit. I'm the same way about the 2 pair of skinny slots and tires I have and the full set of big n little Torque Thrust D wheels and tires I have. Ever since I finally put the skinny Torque Thrust wheels on both cars I keep thinking "what if I want to ever put the skinny slots back on". I know I never will and I'm constantly having to move all 6 wheels and tires out of the way. What the hell is wrong with me?

View attachment 103053
the same thing that’s wrong with me. Lol
what made it easy to sell was that I had 4 buyers all waiting in line for a 3 spd I couldn’t give away at the swap meets. I forgot to mention a 90 dollar pep boys lifetime starter to go with that bell housing.
stack the tires on a HF wheel dolly and move em with ease whenever you need. I did that for a while too.

#2,838 ·
Thanks

for that thought Mario. It's amazing how your brain will sometimes just not function. After your suggestion I remembered that I had this furniture dolley in my storage shed that I haven't used in a bizillion years. Now I have an 8' stack of wheels and tires that will be a breeze to move. Watch, I'll get a call in the next couple days from someone wanting to borrow it and it ain't gonna happen!!

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

#2,839 ·
for that thought Mario. It's amazing how your brain will sometimes just not function. After your suggestion I remembered that I had this furniture dolley in my storage shed that I haven't used in a bizillion years. Now I have an 8' stack of wheels and tires that will be a breeze to move. Watch, I'll get a call in the next couple days from someone wanting to borrow it and it ain't gonna happen!!

View attachment 103055
Haha that’s great. I was using the car wheel dollies. Now you won’t have to keep shuffling them around to work. Necessity the mother of invention

#2,840 · (Edited)
The other day I pulled the MG out of storage and couldn't wait to go to the beach cruise spot this morning. i got my kid to go with me and so he took his Vette.
We had an awesome time. Must have been a whole new crowd cause as i did the parking lot march to an open spot everyone was taking pictures of the MG on the way by. When we parked my son Mike said hey dad did you see everyone taking pictures of your car? I don't want you guys to think Im bragging cause I am. LOL no seriously its a lot of fun but I just wish you could hear all the comments as the walkers came by. So the number 1 question was it must be a hand full, and I say oh yeah sure is. But i never experienced the hand full since I built it. So we left the beach and I forgot to put the camera back in the car. I was mad at myself. We get almost home and now I know the gas level won't be an issue so i make the turn and hammer it to throw shade on the mustang at the light who passed me on the highway. So I hammer it and let off the gas and to my surprise the pedal stuck full throttle. Well talk about your hand full. I started to swipe down on the switches to shut her down while trying to steer it out of harms way and she does a turn and slide so I went with the turn to keep her in the middle of the road and not jump a curb or worse hit someone oncoming. Talk about a rude awakening. I needed an underwear check. And guess what? Good ole Mike had my back and got me on video. I need to find out why my pedal stuck on full throttle before I try that again. Thank god I waited for the cars to pass before I did anything. After watching the video I want to say: I Meant To Do That!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOdXPho7Hhkg0XIDm6iiXk5a_L2RI81zMQeCqQP0S5Txf A5nadcJrIZji2hLUKmTg/photo/AF1QipO-j7AZ0z7V3rdD_ygz2VnEVj5lvcXiRXoE-c2O?key=Z3ZDZEtMbkQxbm4wc19vTm96UVVJamI3TGhZd2R3<a href="https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOdXPho7Hhkg0XIDm6iiXk5a_L2RI81zMQeCqQP0S5Txf A5nadcJrIZji2hLUKmTg/photo/AF1QipO-j7AZ0z7V3rdD_ygz2VnEVj5lvcXiRXoE-c2O?key=Z3ZDZEtMbkQxbm4wc19vTm96UVVJamI3TGhZd2R3">

Mike got me going over the bridge too when I hit the gas at 45 mph. The car felt pretty light in the front on that hit.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Z3ZDZEtMbkQxbm4wc19vTm96UVVJamI3TGhZd2R3

#2,841 · (Edited)
I have a couple of pics, exactly 2 as a matter of fact. It got to the point that Mike said dad tilt the nose so everyone can see.
So I did.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

#2,846 ·
It’s true though. That’s exactly what happens. Then they ask if the frame is original.

#2,848 ·
sorry guys the account is under my son's name and I have to find a work around.

#2,851 ·
I got the video on my Youtube, if you don't hear from me for a while they locked me up for something I didn't mean to happen.

#2,854 ·
what you didn’t know is the throttle stuck right at the first mash so when I let go it started burning the tires and spun around. It was supposed to be a pedal tease and drive off. Not the whole burn.

#2,855 ·
What's the wheelbase on your MG Mario? Guessing around 91"-92"??? Which is a bit longer than my Austin's 89" wheelbase. I never get into the throttle hard unless my Austin is pointed straight down the road. Tried it a couple times coming out of corners, and not what I like to happen. But once pointed straight it's a piece of cake, and easy to control.