My 74 MG Gasser Project
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 284 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: My 74 MG Gasser Project

My 74 MG Gasser Project

I had a vision of a v8 MG and then I thought of the nose in the air over an I Beam Axle rolling down the street in Gasser fashion. So last winter I started taking the car apart and building my vision. I stopped the project in April of 2012 and just picked up on it again. The first few pixs will show how much of a mess the floors were.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0088.jpg   IMG_0087.jpg   IMG_0089.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

just checking how much to take out of the rear end to sit under the car. Tires will have to stick out for sure but I want it to look right so I will have to take a few inches out of the rear to do it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0022.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	3536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0018.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	3537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0019.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	3538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0021.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	3539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0020.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	3540
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 01-03-2013 at 10:44 PM.

next set of pics getting ready to set up the hand me down ladder bars on the rear and check measurements on the bench so I can drop it in as a unit on the leaf springs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0024.JPG   100_0023.JPG   100_0025.JPG   100_0034.JPG  
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 01-03-2013 at 10:49 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I love it! An MG gasser with the nose in the air will be very different! Kinda like a later version of Hugh Tucker's '28 Chevy AA/SR Roadster! Looks like you've got a 8.5" 10 bolt rear also! I'm using a modified 8.5" in my '71 Camaro, and they're very strong with the right pieces!
    Vall

Cool! Wasn't there a gasser Cobra? Kinda like this one

Probably the best use of a '74 MG. Can't wait to see it together. Going to be crazy.

Mike
    Liberty, In God We Trust, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Watch it tilt! => Hidden Content
    Watch my engine => Hidden Content
    My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I started cutting all the sheet metal out and got overwhelmed so I went to the rear end so I would get a different frame of mind. kind of shift gears so to speak. The only thing that keeps me going is my vision of how funny it will be to see this matchbox car going down the road. LOL What started this whole thing going is I always wanted to build a cobra and the mg is the closest your going to get to a cobra in size.
    Pics of the car the way I got it in dirty tan color
    Red crazy blown version cool but not my wallet style.
    red and green cool gassers from back in the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E_33.jpg   E_22.jpg   file.jpeg   19.jpg  
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 05-29-2017 at 09:50 AM.

some more progress. I placed the rear in position with tacked brackets in place. Haven't finished the welding yet.
    Gives an idea of how wide the tires will be in the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0036.JPG   100_0035.JPG   100_0038.JPG   100_0039.JPG   100_0040.JPG  

Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie ProMetalShop's Avatar
    Holy *^£¥ that's going to be awesome ! ! So what's going to power it, small block Chevy ? Are you going to add any tube chassis, or just reinforce the factory unitized structure ?
    I would do an MG before even considering a Cobra. I like the Cobra, but how many MG's you going to see, and when will you ever see one with a solid axle front. What's really cool, one State over from me ! !
    A friend of mine has one with a small block in one but other then it running you would never know it.
    MMhotrods may know him, he races a Karmin Ghia and a front end nostalgia dragster, the English brothers, and dad, are a very talented crew. Kieth English use to narrow all my rear housings, and reps line my axles.
    Hey good luck on this build, it's going to be cool to watch...
    Hidden Content
    ProMetalShop
    4431 Snydertown Road
    Danville PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet View Post
    Holy *^£¥ that's going to be awesome ! ! So what's going to power it, small block Chevy ? Are you going to add any tube chassis, or just reinforce the factory unitized structure ?
    I would do an MG before even considering a Cobra. I like the Cobra, but how many MG's you going to see, and when will you ever see one with a solid axle front. What's really cool, one State over from me ! !
    A friend of mine has one with a small block in one but other then it running you would never know it.
    MMhotrods may know him, he races a Karmin Ghia and a front end nostalgia dragster, the English brothers, and dad, are a very talented crew. Kieth English use to narrow all my rear housings, and reps line my axles.
    Hey good luck on this build, it's going to be cool to watch...
    I have a 9-1 small block 350 that Im going to freshen up with a cam that put me into the 11's in the coupe. Not spending a lot of cash on this one. Promised the wife. She endured 8 yrs of my project and 3 yrs of my son's project of which you all know I had to help fund. How often does that happen?
    Anyway Im not a professional builder. just grabbing the mg by he tail and running with it. Im using 2x3 tubing under the car which you will see in upcoming pix. i made a crossmember at the back vertical wall to support the front of the leaf springs and remade the perches. The ladder bars end under the
    seats so I might have an ejection system but don't know it yet. LOL I need to make a frame work to drape down to meet the ladder bars front rod ends. So much to ponder in one sitting. Its fun though. Seriously I may have to loose weight to use this car. Its tight in there and the floors aren't even in there.
    Guess that's the incentive I need. Thanks for all the compliments. I was kinda loosing interest because of all the energy involved but when I hear all your comments and how outrageous the project has potential to be, it perks my interest again.
    thanks All
    mario

Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie ProMetalShop's Avatar
    Mario's fire is lit
    Hidden Content
    ProMetalShop
    4431 Snydertown Road
    Danville PA.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements