My 74 MG Gasser Project - Page 291
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 291 of 292 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292 LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 2918

Thread: My 74 MG Gasser Project

I bought 2 new skins from Amazon rated for 130 mph and only 90 bucks tax and shipping, for the front of the MG and now that I have matching rims I can't wait to see them on the car. I drug out my tire machine which Im now making money every time I use it. It paid for itself already. Im about 90 bucks into the green on that purchase. So i put the tires on and the first one I had a genius idea to spray silicone on the bead so it don't rip in any way. Bad Idea!!!!!!. I couldn't get that tire to pop for nothing. Grant it the compressor only gets 130 lbs at peak and it don't last long so even the air blast on the tire machine really doesn't work very well with my air volume and pressure. i gave up and moved on to the next one. I left this one alone and wrestled a bit but it popped up eventually. PHHHHeeewwww man I was sweating and tired already. My kid pops his head in the garage and he joined my silicone tire popping event and no success. I took the tire off and wiped down the bead with brake clean to get rid of the silicone. We tried again and nothing. Just as I was about to give up I waited for the compressor to peak and i gave it the air blast and it popped for me. What a battle. I wish I had one of those bead expanders to not have to work so hard to get the tires up on the bead and rim. These tires were short and narrow so they didn't fit the bill for an easy mount like a big 60 series tire. But I won the battle and a good feeling when I shut the lights and locked up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5699.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	103945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5698.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	103947
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 10-15-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Nice

very nice Mario, can't wait to see the photos of them on the car. Next time you have trouble getting a bead to seat try a ratchet style cargo strap and some acetylene or brake cleaner https://youtu.be/3SMEps8DBec I've tried it and it works.
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Beautiful Mario! Those will be great on the MG!

Ever try a ratchet strap tightened around the tread circumference? It will shrink the diameter, and force the beads out against the rim and you can then fill the air a little until you can release the strap.
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    very nice Mario, can't wait to see the photos of them on the car. Next time you have trouble getting a bead to seat try a ratchet style cargo strap and some acetylene or brake cleaner https://youtu.be/3SMEps8DBec I've tried it and it works.
    I did try a cargo strap. It buckled the tire on one side and I couldn’t get it to seat no way no how. But thanks for the suggestion.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Beautiful Mario! Those will be great on the MG!

Ever try a ratchet strap tightened around the tread circumference? It will shrink the diameter, and force the beads out against the rim and you can then fill the air a little until you can release the strap.
    yeah I did try that. It buckled the tire out of round. But thanks for the idea.
    Mario

I think one of the problems besides silicone was the fact that the tire was on the widest rim designated. 4-6”. Small tires don’t give like larger tires do when you strap em.
    Mario

If the strap is too wide it wont pull in either. Needs to be a narrow 1" strap for a narrow tire tread.
    Vall

Yeah I tried both the 1” and the 2”. I was really desperate to try anything.
    Mario

Check out this guy. Even after buying the bead air blaster he still used a ratchet strap and he still had problems getting it to pop up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how%...=firefox-b-1-m
    Mario

That's

why up above I recommended acetylene or brake cleaner re: this video clip, https://youtu.be/3SMEps8DBec and as I mentioned I've done it and it works.
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements