Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Plasma cart

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
Well it's been long overdue that I needed a new plasma cutter. My last one was a Linclon pack 60 which was a good machine but a royal pain in the back side to move around. It was on wheels but quite like a hand truck you had to pull back on the grab bar and tilt it back to get it rolling , but the bad part is it weighted more than me.

Anyhow yesterday I went to Airgas to pick up a Hypertherm powerpack 45. Now it weights about 26 lbs, which is so much easier to move around. But I still wanted to build a cart for it to add a little protection because the water separater sticks out the back and I could see just knocking that sucker right off.
So here's were I started. I started with a base that the wheels would mount to, which was 3 inch C-channel and topped it with 1 1/2 inch square 1/8 inch wall tube.

After I squared the tube I tacked it in place. And then started the hood frame.

I bent just under 90*

Then after I had the pieces made up I tacked it together.

After welding it all together, I made a small tray for the consumables.

And welded that in.

Then I made up a place for the hypertherm to sit and a hood to cover the machine and keep the consumables from falling out.

Well it's not done yet, I have to bend some angles and fasten them in one on each side to keep the cutter from slopping from side to side. I also have to add some place for my torch, but in no rush because it's detachable and I can hang it on the wall. We still have to do some silly dress ups...... Here's some fun ideas.

Or ! !

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Hi Maddog , thanks, actually so do I, (flames) and they would make the most sense, because, it would be another place to store the torch. Plus I could , while connecting the flame tips with some round tube that would work as a handle also. The only down fall is the hood would make a convenient place to sit ! ! I don't really know how many times I would be able to sit while cutting. The main thing is It offers good protection for the machine and will help keep the dust off. They are a whole lot more fussy then the last one I bought back in the early 90's.
I want to build a cutting table, to use by hand, but as I build it use the components that will be able to switch over to a CNC 3 axis table. :D :D

#5 ·
Yup, now I don't just hate you, I officially hate you. KIDDING!!!! Ya no, the house about a block away is for sale Steve. You know you want to move down here????? Huh? Huh? Nice work and fun watching your ideas and process. Oh, I forgot to tell you. That house only has a garage, soooo, that means you have to store all your equipment at my house. And do all your fabrication at my house. You don't have to thank me Steve, what are friends for??? 8^) MArkus O'Shamless

#6 ·
WARNING: WARNING: NEVER, EVER , insert food in mouth while reading Marks post ! ! ! ! Now I hate Mark as much as he hates me ! ! Took me 20 minutes to clean my laptop key board from my lunch projectiles :( :( :( Mark the last time I moved I had a third of the equipment and it took me two tractor trailer loads from Massachusetts ! ! ! But it would be nice to unload the winters...... BUT I'm in a 100 foot building now and have to add on a tool room the entire length which I should start before winter. :D :D Hey I got to use the plasma today and what a difference almost 18 years of technology makes. :D

#11 ·
That is once nice cart! 3 tractor trailers full is a lot of stuff and would not be fun to move. I hate moving my small amount of junk. I wish I had a plasma cutter yesterday when I was trying to cut slots in the metal using my crappy drill bits and a cutoff wheel.

#13 ·
Opps..... It been sooooo long since your posted anything on the "little Grump" I almost forgot about it. It must feel neglected.... HA!!!!

Love the cart..... Vall is right.... it looks more "trick" than any of my cars of the past.

Steve you are the KING of OverKill!!!! L o L.

I know how bad everyone wants you to move next door to them..... THANKFULLY you are just a "keyboard" away.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Vall if I lived near by we'd be getting more cool stuff done ! ! And cruising for coffee in the Austin :)
Or the Opel..... or the Grump or...... Thankfully we have the next best thing.... GHR Forum.... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.