Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Reproducing Old Lakewood Style Roll Bars

56K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 · (Edited)
Reproducing Old School Lakewood Style Roll Bars

--------Teaser pics--------We are starting to Reproducing Old School Lakewood Style Roll Bars soon. This pic is just the mock-up bar in a '69 camaro.The real roll bars will not be made from scrap pieces LOL.

See less See more
#14 ·
In a 3 point I think the old Lakewood wont be accepted in NHRA. Some non sanctioned races will be fine with them, but usually it's on cars that run slower speeds not requiring a rollbar at all anyway.
I think they're cool, and whether they met tech or not they will add another level of safety to a street gasser, or any car that the owner wants something cool looking. I built 4 point rollbars for my Camaro and my Austin, jut for the little extra strength, and the look I wanted. Raced the Camaro for 16 years with my home built rollbar and never had any questions, but it never ran fast enough to fall into the range requiring a rollbar or rollcage.

#18 ·
I think that not passing today's tech standards shouldn't hurt the "sell-ability" of these bars. For someone that's building a hot street gasser, these bars will fit the bill.
I TOTALLY agree!!!!

The building of "gasser style cars" spans a great deal of years dating back to the earliest days of drag racing. So it is not surprising that modifications done "back in the day" could not meet the "strict" NHRA/IHRA safety standards of today.

Unless the car is going to be drag raced on a regular basis having the "Lakewood styled" roll bar would actually be a GREAT addition for a car..... especially if it is being built with being "period correct" in mind.

#29 ·
Gasser55t , have you followed through on reproducing these roll bars ? I'm getting ready to go meet with Steve at Prometalshop to have him build a new chassis for my studebaker and I've discussed having him build me one of these rollbars but I'm not objected to sending some money your way for one. It's looking like the latter part of the year before Steve can get started on my car so I'd be cool getting a rollbar from you at that point. Keep us posted please so those of us wanting to buy from you can. Thanks

#31 ·
It's been 2 years since this was first posted, and I hope by now these are a reality. If they aren't, then there's a good chance that the OP has decided not to make them, or has liability concerns with building them. Hope I'm wrong and gasser55t will return and offer them up for sale!

#37 ·
Good idea Dave, i used duct tape to keep the pipe in place too. and it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.