Gasser HotRod Forums banner

My Little Street Gasser

11K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  carls 56 
#1 ·
.... guess that's where it belongs ..... could also be a nostalgia gasser ......... as that's exactly where it came from ....... it's an old A/G Thames from the 1960's Chicago area gasser wars .......... but his racing days are over ....... it's gonna be low & slow for him from now on

We bought the car in 1998 and started into a "freshen up" back in April of 2006 ........ what we found in the disassembly was an absolute nightmare ...... the old frame was warped and stress cracked in multiple places and the body had been improperly acid dipped and was basically ruined from the beltline down .......... so we had to start at ground level zero

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
We contracted with Fatman Fabrications in Charlotte, NC to custom build us a 90" wheelbase chassis for the Thames ......... Mustang II/Pinto IFS with rack & pinion ......... four link rear suspension ....... 9" Ford rear with 3.50:1 gears ......... discs on the front & drums on the rear

#8 · (Edited)
I really enjoyed this part ........ I got to rebuild the little 327 Chevrolet small block and Turbo Hydro 350 ......... I hadn't built an engine in nearly 30 years .......... the little 327 with fuelie heads ("double humps" - 2.02 intakes, 1.60 exhausts) originally came out of a '66 Nova SS ......... this is what we started with

#9 · (Edited)
and this is what we finished with ..........

Comp Cams 270H cam and kit ....... 600 CFM Edelbrock ....... custom shroud built by Alan Shadwick down in New Zealand .......... B&M 2400 rpm stall converter ......... puts out 377 horses at 6200 rpm ........ should be plenty to power the little 2,200 pound beast

#18 ·
..... the Thames, our "Bad Brit" is nearing completion and has been entered in the Shriner's Custom and Hot Rod show in Greensboro, NC on January 21-22 ......... so this is possibly the last set of pictures before debuting the completed item

..... the painted body shell had been mounted back on the frame and wiring is being run

..... the body shell has been sanded and polished

..... carpet was being laid today

#20 ·
..... the interior panels are waiting to be installed ......... the pleated leather will go below the "window line" and the black above the pleats ........ the pleated headliner can be seen behind the rear door panel ......... the "black" rectangles on the side panels are actually pockets to hold registration, insurance cards, cigarettes, etc.

......... after nearly five years of construction, I can hardly believe we are finally bringing this project to a close .......... I'll post completed pictures as soon as I can

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.