Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Paint

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  crazyhorse 
#1 ·
I wanted my old Dodge satin, or hot rod, black, nothing fancy. Tried Summit Racing's paint and it sucks. I've had people suggest Tractor Supply's implement paint. I seen a Matte black on their website, has anyone tried it? Can't look no worse than Summit's.

#4 · (Edited)
I really like John Deere Blitz Black with hardener as frame paint. I also used it on the underbelly and firewall of my car. I don't know how it would be on a whole car, as far as if it would blend in or leave dry stripes, like some matte finishes seem to. I just bought a quart last week to paint my tilt front end framework, $12.00. I bought a rattle can, too. It drys a whole lot faster than Rustoleum or anything else I've tried.

#5 ·
I use Rustoleum satin black on both of my cars for frame, undercarriage, etc. But I haven't tried any paint for a satin black body. I have contemplated doing the Falcon body in satin black, just because I could do that myself and not screw it up. I would like my Falcon all one color some day!

#6 ·
Vall isn't that a little Racist all one color.........check out east woods stuff I have done a few hoods with there satin black......came out great but I have done a lot of custom painting that gives me and edge..........as with any paint job if you dont do the prep[ right dont waste your time doing it at all.... what didnt you like about the out come of the summit maybe I can identify the problem for you

#7 ·
Since I have very little painting experience, I figured satin black would be more forgiving. Plus I want to keep the costs down on the Falcon, as it's always been a very low budget build, and never really thought I'd keep it this long even. Would hate to put big money into paint, and then sell it for another project!

#8 ·
The Summit paint with medium reducer, dried as soon as it hit the car. Weather was good, just didn't flow what so ever. I need to do some more body work anyway. Wasn't going to be real picky but I want it to look decent. Think I'll go with the Custom shop, think it's TCP global or something like that. They have some really cool flatz colors. I'll just stick with the satin black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.