BEST hot rod muffler
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BEST hot rod muffler

BEST hot rod muffler

I have always felt the best sounding mufflers of all time were the "original" THRUSH mufflers.

NONE of the mufflers of today come close to the sound they used to make.

With the growing interest in having a "period correct" look you would think Thrush would start making this muffler design again.

This style muffler came in a "short" & a "long" version. As great as the sound was these mufflers were not known for longevity.

With modern day materials & building processes I don't know why these popular mufflers of the late 60's early 70's are not available to us today in a new "long-lasting" nostalgia version.

The current "Thrush Welded" muffler does have a good sound but nothing like the Thrush muffler of old. The Thrust Welded muffler is styled like the early Thrush "Hush" muffler design which is also like Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc mufflers of today.

I am currently using the short Summit Racing GlassPack Mufflers (18"). http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-630810/
    GREAT LOUD sound but not the LOUD "DEEP" sound of the original Thrush Mufflers.
    John "Milner"
    Hot Rod wife: Gina
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Street/Strip - Opel Gasser
    Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!
    johnd.pghpa@verizon.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Old car parts ads are a lot cooler than the new ones. I wish I knew what the original thrush mufflers sounded like. I am sure it is great. I heard a Cougar with a 351w, thrush mufflers and dumps. It sounded pretty good!
    Isaac

1969 Mustang Mach 1
    1970 Dodge Charger R/T

John, there was nothing that sounded like the original Thrush muffler. Back in the high school days I had them on my Chevelle and thought I was king of the road. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 19mach69 View Post
    Old car parts ads are a lot cooler than the new ones. I wish I knew what the original thrush mufflers sounded like......
    Quote Originally Posted by 1955 D/GAS View Post
    John, there was nothing that sounded like the original Thrush muffler. Back in the high school days I had them on my Chevelle and thought I was king of the road. Brian
    The THRUSH mufflers from back then had a very deep sound (especially the short version) ..... unlike any other muffler back then. They were not just LOUD but at 1500rpm or so had a sound of POWER that no other muffler had.
    John "Milner"
    Hot Rod wife: Gina
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Street/Strip - Opel Gasser
    Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!
    johnd.pghpa@verizon.net

That pretty much describbes the old Thrush to a T! Loud and deep. I've had some newer cheap glasspacks that had large diameter openings that were close, but not the same. As I get older loud and deep isn't as attrctive as it used to be, so now I like them a little quieter. If I want loud I uncap my headers, but I can always close them when I'm tired of loud. Mine are pretty easy and fast to uncap.

Yep, I agree with y'all, thrush did make a good sounding muffler. Had a set on a 65 goat in late 60's. sounded great.

I loved my Thrush mufflers. Police not so much. However, you are right about the sound. I know Smithy is making old style mufflers again and there is always the Purple Hornies.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread