Gassers At 131 Dragway In The '60s
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gassers At 131 Dragway In The '60s

Thumbs up Gassers At 131 Dragway In The '60s

Enjoy..

6S1941
    289 SlabSide
    40 Ford Sedan Delivery (For Sale)
    73 Turbo Pinto
    68 Opel Wagon
    57 Merc Convt (For Sale)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Very nice!

Nice!

'Come on son, this ain't Barrett-Jackson!'

Mike
    Liberty, In God We Trust, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Watch my engine => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDMbG7mMwW4
    My GMC http://www.c10trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91

Quote Originally Posted by map351 View Post
    Gassers At 131 Dragway In The '60s ....... Enjoy..
    "Those were the days my friend we thought they'd NEVER end"...... But they did !!!!!
    John "Milner"
    Hot Rod wife: Gina
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Street/Strip - Opel Gasser
    Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!
    johnd.pghpa@verizon.net

That's one of the best videos ever! Man there were a lot of really great names in gasser history on that video! Reminded me of sitting in the stands before I even got my driver's license in 1966, watching these cars run. Drag racing has never been as enjoyable for me as it was in the 60's!
    Thanks again for digging this great stuff up!

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    That's one of the best videos ever! Man there were a lot of really great names in gasser history on that video! Reminded me of sitting in the stands before I even got my driver's license in 1966, watching these cars run. Drag racing has never been as enjoyable for me as it was in the 60's!
    Thanks again for digging this great stuff up!
    A BIG DITTO ...... for me the "car-fever" started a few years earlier. Which meant I had the "addiction" quite a few years before "drag strips" were thought of in the Pittsburgh area.

Granted, in those early days of my ""obsession" with hot rods things were a LOT different. It was just prior to the time that many people refer to as the "early days of the muscle car years". Not that there wasn't "hot-factory-built" cars back then it was just there were not as many of these Detroit-built hot rods around back then.

I have to say even though the "hot cars" were not as prevalent as there were a few years later it did not stop "piston-heads" from having "fun with cars". Most of the cars we hot-rodded back then were basically "mildly modified". Most of which were still powered by the engine they came with from the factory. Mods were usually dual exhausts with "glasspacs" attached to the 4 barrel carb engines. The "3-on-the tree" shifted tranny converted to floor shifters, no front bumpers or hub caps with over-sized worn out (bald) recap snow tires on the rear.

There were a few true hot rods roaming the streets in those days but they were scare compared to what would happen a few years later when GTO, SS/Z28's, Road Runners/Super Bees, 442's, GT/Boss Mustangs, etc became commonplace.

Prior to the muscle car era a couple hundred bucks or so could get you a very "hot rod-able" 55/57 Chevy or Ford. Even though the "factory built" muscle cars had much MORE H/P that did not mean that they were that much MORE "hot rod fun".

BTW.... I found a few DVD's on eBay very similar to the video link posted by map351. Those old videos fuel my rekindled desire for "vintage drag racing"
    Last edited by OpelGasser; 11-04-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    John "Milner"
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!
    johnd.pghpa@verizon.net

Vintage Drag Racing Irony

Ironically, just after I made the post above I checked my e-mail and found this link .... sent to me from a long time hot rod friend (who I met at Carlisle about 10 yrs ago).

Go To: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBiNH...layer_embedded
    John "Milner"
    Pittsburgh, PA
    johnd.pghpa@verizon.net

Another great video! That Allison powered rail was unusual, even back then!

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread