Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Radiused rear wheel wells lip..

47K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  Timberline65 
#1 ·
Easy method for Radiused rear wheel wells with a nice finished edge on the cheap the we did it in the 60s is check the top sealing lip on a 55 gallon drum like it was made for Gasser.

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a friend who has a '70 'Cuda that they used the barrels to make fender extensions. You could stand on them! The lid looks like a good idea.

Nice model, did you build it?

Mike

#4 ·
I have a pair of rear fenders from a mid 50's bread truck that I use for patterns for the cut-out. Haven't added a lip, if anything, I'll add a piece of tubing to the back side of the 1/4 for rigidity. The barrel is a great idea though.

#6 ·
The Eastwood tool works well if you're not changing the shape of your wheelwell, and the wheelwell is round. If it has an odd shaped wheelwell, then as the wheel turns you have to readjust the roller to stay in contact. Another big problem is if there is any bodywork around the wheelwell, as it will pop any filler or at the least crack it. So you need to know before starting if the car has ever been hit.

#9 ·
Thanks for posting.... forgot about this good idea!!!!

One of the plans I have for the Opel is to switch from 10" rims & tires width to 12".

Since I got the Opel late last Summer I have been kicking around the idea of removing the rear fender flares for a more authentic "gasser look".

Whoever installed the rear fender flares did a GREAT JOB doing so. They look like they came from the factory.

So another one of my "plans" will be to remove the flares and while I am at it relocate the leaf springs inboard and make new mounts for the rear shocks which will attach to an additional crossmember that will be added to the rear of the frame.

#11 ·
Hey Steve..... Ironic you should reply to this "older post" of mine today...... Just the day before yesterday I took a magic marker & some string .... measured the radius of the M/T's I picked up at the Spring swap meet in Canfield, Ohio and did a "let's see how this looks" on the rear fenderwell opening on the Opel.

Everyone who looks closely at the flairs on the Opel are amazed they are NOT factory. Even the inside of the fenderwells are stock=looking as can be. They obviously took many man-hours to install & to bring to the level of finish that they are.

I'll post pics of "line" I made on fender flare tonight so you can see what the opening would look like "without" removing the flares...... in way I hate to 'chop-up" such nice custom work.... but then I am getting pretty good with a sawz-all...... ha!!!! :) and also prefer the old-school LOOK of traditional "radiused fenders.

#12 ·
Is that the same car in the second picture ? If so ( hands down ) that's just cool. Not to say I don't appreciate the flares and the work that was involved. But as a Gasser or even a Street driven hot rod, the radius is more suited for the Opel then the flair. Now go figure when I've been considering building radius fenders on the Grump..... :(. :confused: :rolleyes:

#14 ·
I agree.... got to have some tire poking out of the rear fenderwells. Years ago the State & local Police would ticket you if any of the tire was sticking out of the fenderwell. Times have changed.

If you notice on the picture of my Opel and the lighter blue one as well..... the rear wheels have a negative offset which helps to keep them inside the rear fender.

Here's a couple of pics:

As you can see in the second picture.... the flares are not just stuck on the car.... even inside the fenderwell is completely finished giving them a factory look.

I am hoping that under the flares "most" if not "all' of the rear quarter sheet metal will be intact.

#15 · (Edited)
After posting a reply to ProStreet Steve's resurrection of this thread about "radiused wheel wells" my curiosity started "killing me".

As soon as I got outside this morning I gathered my tools and "attacked" the rear fender flares on the Opel.

I was pleasantly surprise to NOT ONLY find all of the stock sheet metal intact.... but a VERY decent radiused fender opening. Feels GOOD to WIN one for a change.

I have posted MORE PICTURES of the flare removal at my build thread.....

Go To: http://www.gasserhotrods.com/forum/showthread.php?375-Opel-Kadett-Gasser&p=9153&posted=1#post9153

#16 ·
Oh GOSH ! ! ! What did I start ! ! ALTHOUGH ! Fantastic results there John :D that's looks good ! Next ( while luck is on your side ) I would run out and grab a few lotto tickets. :D :D I don't think there's been a time when I ucovered an older repair and found something I was look forward to let alone in that good of shape. How long we're the flares on the Opel for ?

#17 · (Edited)
Not sure of the exact amount of time but the flares were on when the owner BEFORE the guy I got the Opel from owned the car.

So that means the work was done by the guy who started the project back in the '70's.

Then, from what I know ...... the car sat in a barn for 20 years or so (sounds like a familar story). It's like the flares "protected" the radius all of those years.

Taking the flares off was like opening a time capsule or something.

Just to have the original sheet metal intact would have been good enough but to have found the radiused opening as well and the quality of work is a real bonus.

As you can see the bottom of the rear quarter & in front of the wheel opening is shot.

Hope the other side is in as good a shape.

Thanks again for the "motivation"!!!!!

#21 ·
Hey MD...... Me too!!!!! Might take a "peek" on the other side later today.

How is the MoPar coming????? ..... haven't seen any update pics lately.

I have been working inside the workshop trying to finish up on the remodeling, painting, etc. It has been WAY TOO HOT/HUMID to work outside.

Now that I have surrendered and come to terms with the Opel turning into a "long-term project" instead of doing a "quick fix" I feel much better about really getting a LOT of really cool things done & major changes made before it gets back on the road/drag strip again. :eek:

Hope all is well with you, your family & of course the MoPar Gasser.:confused:

#20 · (Edited)
Hey Steve.... I think I can speak for others who frequent this forum that you "motivate" us in so many ways.... just by having you nearby especially when you frequent the forum is an invaluable tool for us backyard builders.

Anyone who has been around hot rods as much as most of us here on this forum have grown into being able to identify quality work & the creative mind that is able fabricate parts in a truly unique high-quality one-off fashion.

So now that I spent my 2 cents ...... "what are you doing this weekend????? HA!!!!!

#22 ·
Hey John, all is well, just plugging away on the wiring. You know the one where the magazine guys say it only took a weekend to do it. Well for me that means two months I think. Anyway, finally got my battery cables all made up and ran under the car from the trunk. Not too much exciting about that to take pictures of. Took a break last weekend and went to the Old Timer Drags in British Columbia. Couple of pictures of the straight axle class on one of the other forums.

#24 ·
John, I've come to that conclusion with the Grump. I will finish it over the winter so it's ready for the first shows and cruises next year. I was trying to beat it done for the last few but in reality I have to much on my plate with the jobs that are in the shop know. So it will be nice to do what's needed with out the pressure of the clock ! ! O:cool:

#32 ·
What kind of car are you doing Longroof? If I knew then maybe I could suggest a donor panel that would give you the radius look. I know on another site a guy used '70 Mustang rear patch panels to give his gasser the radius, and have a nice little flare to them too. Also what diameter tires are you wanting to run?

#33 ·
The "Gasser Passer"" was built by "Ohio George" Montegomery in the "early sixties....

(from: Anglia Obsolete History http://www.angliaobsolete.com/history.html )
If it wasn't for hot rodders in the mid-sixties modifying them and creating some level of interest, many feel that very few modern day examples would today, still exist. In 1961, NHRA's rules set the minimum wheelbase for a "gasser" at 94-inches. The rules also stated that the body must be of American manufacturer. Both of these rules combined blew any chance of a foreign car from entering the gas classes. In 1963, NHRA allowed foreign cars to compete in the gas classes even though they were under the 94-inch wheelbase minimum. The kicker was, they could only run a small block engine and no blowers were allowed. This opened the door for the 90-inch Anglia and Thames to join the gasser ranks. The demand for these less-than-desireable foreign cars was finally on the upswing.

For the next four years, the number of Anglia gassers gradually increased although the supercharged divisons were dominated by the Willys and Austin - both of which had a longer wheelbase. Only a few racer took a close enough look at the Prefect and realized that its 94-inch wheelbase would be legal for this class. One such car was the "Hurst's Gasser Passer," built and driven by "Ohio" George Montgomery. The car was successfully campaigned prior to his moving to a '33 Willys powered by a 427 SOHC Ford engine.
============================================================

After building the '33 Willys coupe "Ohio George" sold the "Gasser Passer" ..... It was raced for awhile by others ..... one for the onwers "chopped the top" (ouch!!!!)..... the eventually the car found a home in a garage where it sat (hide) for 30 years until it was found, purchased and brought back to Ohio once again.

The new owner intends to "UN-Chop" the roof & restore it to "how it used to be" when George Montgomery raced it.

#34 ·
Great Anglia info John, but this must have some hidden tip on radiused rear wheelwells I don't see???
But speaking of Ohio George, the info above is incorrect. Ohio George had the '33 Willys with Cadillac engine prior to building the Anglia Gasser Passer. He won the Nationals in '59,'60, and '61 with the '33 Willys. He ran the Gasser Passer in '62 and lost at the Nationals to SWC. Went back to the '33 Willys in '63 with the Cadillac engine gone, and a BBC engine in it's place and won again. Later he went to the SOHC Ford engine in '65 and continued winning.
I've contacted Dean Kirsten to point out the error at his Anglia site pertaining the info on George Montgomery. So we'll see if he changes it, or leaves the errors in that info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.