Loud and Fast Gasser [Archive] - Gasser HotRods

: Loud and Fast Gasser

19mach69
09-04-2012, 11:45 PM
I've recently started watching the show Loud and Fast. They had this 1952 Ford Mainline Gasser they pulled out of a field. On the show they said they spent around 20k, on the Mecum auction site they say they spent 40k. The auction went for 16k on the TV. Not sure if it is true or not, but that is a crappy loss on a car if they spent 40k.

Here is the car.

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=HA0412-128744

1946Austin
09-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Rediculous either way! I have a hard time believing anything said on that program. Even if they're charging an hourly rate of $100 an hour to the project, they still didn't have $20k in that car. All they did was toss an engine trans and rearend in it, and shoot some paint. Bare bones wiring, and no lights or glass. That car could have been done for a little over half that figure, and have made money at $16k.
That bonehead who owns Gas Monkey Garage is annoying as heck.

ProMetalShop
09-05-2012, 09:34 PM
10 4 on that Guys ! ! I don't even watch anymore. I saw two episodes and had enough. Have y'all watched Counting Cars yet. He's a likable guy but ya don't see any of the work. I sorta thought that is what the car programs were about. Remember American Hot rod with Boyd ? Ya seen stuff get built ! ! Ofcourse there was the drama, but at least ya seen cool suff going on. Oh and everything had a real short deadline. They would fire my a$$ in les then a week if I worked there :D :D

1946Austin
09-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Agreed Steve! The biggest problem with almost every car show on TV is the lack of focus on the build steps, and the over focus on the drama.

mt94ss
09-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Exactly!!!! I DVR the programs so I can skip the made-up drama and get to the build. I like seeing what they are doing, just not the faux suspense.

I just heard about Counting Cars and set my DVR for it. Hopefully it will be a bit better.

Maybe car shows aren't made for us, people who actually work on cars and want to see it in a more tech fashion. I'm sure that they are chasing ratings.

I still like the Power Block shows the best, or even Stacy David. At least for the builds. Dennis Gage is good for a presentation show.

We don't need 'Real Mechanics of the Jersey Shore'. :D

19mach69
09-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree, Stacey David and Powerblock are my favorite. They have given me some great ideas to work around some issues I've had on my cars. I will see how long I can last on Loud and Fast. Some of their builds are cool and I did like the gasser, but when you see the show, then the Mecum ad, it makes you wonder how full of crap they are. Some of the prices people want for their junk on the show is laughable! Of course I went to Mustangs Unlimited today and saw the for sale board. Some guy wanted 20k for his 03 Mach 1 and another guy wanted 30k for his 04 Cobra! I started laghing! That Mach 1 might be worth 12-13k and the Cobra around 22-24k in this market. I sold my 03 Cobra in December for 16,500 and that was pretty good. Like I have said in previous posts, some people didn't get the economy sucks memo.

1946Austin
09-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Not sure how many of you guys are also on Hotrodders.com forum, but I doubt you'll ever watch Gas Monkey Garage if you see what these two idiots were up to 6 yrs. ago!

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/adition-closed-thread-97033.html

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/update-gas-monkey-garage-scandal-97414.html

SlikWilly
09-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Those wanna-be's on that show are a joke, I watched it once I think,, when they were trying to build that caddy for those 2 auzzies that were coming over to drive route 66, had a week to completely build that car, interior and all,, then to stall the owners for a few minutes, went to a bar and drank a bunch of beers and then went target shooting with machine guns,,,
they need to stick with drinking and leave the car building to someone that does know a wee bit about building one,,,
That counting cars dude didn't even know a 39 chev coupe when he saw it,, after asking the owner what year it was he was spouting off the history of 39 chevs to the camera,,,he sure builds some ugly stuff,, or his crew does,,,,
But I guess thats what TV is for "entertainment"

1946Austin
09-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Seems to be a raft of wannabe car builders on TV that know very little, and what is shown on their shows indicates it too well! Some would be better served by not showing too much, and keep the car nuts wondering about their skill levels!

19mach69
09-11-2012, 12:42 PM
I saw the hotrodders threads. That definitely made me not want to see the show ever again. I've been visiting that site since around 2002. Ive learned a lot off of there.

sbauman2
09-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Not only did the guys on the show lose their ass on the deal but so did the guy who bought it at the auction. It sold for just under $7000 at Mecum and what was it he got it for, $13,000.

1946Austin
09-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Ha ha ha! Richard Rawlings needs to stop buying cars! He'll be a wealthier guy if he just keeps his hands in his pockets and doesn't shell out for any more losers!
This episode he bought a '48 Chevy and a '63 Caddy to turn. Lost $4500 on the Caddy, and $10,000 on the Chevy! Must be that new math, or he's hoping for a government bailout! :)
Boy is that guy sharp on knowing what a car will sell for!

ProMetalShop
09-21-2012, 07:54 AM
They should have named the show Loud and Fast and How To Lose Your A$$.......... :) :)

Cptnbob
09-21-2012, 10:43 AM
They should have named the show Loud and Fast and How To Lose Your A$$.......... :) :)

That's a good one, Steve......:D:D:D

OpelGasser
09-28-2012, 10:34 PM

Steve.... you're a Poet..... don't ya know it !!!!!

I really think RR was chosen to have the show more about his "persona" than anything else.

Despite what is said about RR .... there & everywhere..... RR has the look..... between "Big Daddy" (Ed Roth) and "Wolfman Jack"...... and that what sells on TV.

How come there have been (and are) sooooo many shows that could be soooooo good "ONLY IF" they would do or not do certain things.....

1946Austin
10-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Well he better be able to make money off his looks or the show, 'cause he just lost another $12,700 this week! He sure can't learn how to make money on cars!

SlikWilly
10-09-2012, 02:00 AM
That Richard Rollins got his butt in real hot water over at Hot rodders .com,,, this was when he first started trying to be a big shot,, but they brought him down to size
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/gas-monkey-garage-giving-away-hot-rod-need-your-help-96191.html

1946Austin
10-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Just wonder if anyone but him would plunk down $28k on a '32 Ford without looking it over closely? I know '32's are desireable, but nobody pays that kind of money for just a body with a title. Seems his shoot from the hip method does nothing to pad his bank account. He must have more money than he knows what to do with, and needs some losses to write off on his taxes.

SlikWilly
10-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah no kiddin the first place I would look is at the frame,, that would have been a no buy right there,, " its on rollers,, lets roll er out and take a look") neither one of them got down on a knee to look under the car, that just cost him 12 K for a new frame, even after they had it on the trailer they could have looked,,, wanna-be's,, he's too busy trying to be KOOL:>>>)

But you notice how he wanted to patch it up an screw the new owner?? I'm glad guys like that get burned ,, they deserve what they get
and WHY did they sell it without a reserve??

1946Austin
10-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I was surprised they even showed his willingness to pass on his mistake. He sure was pushing to just turn it and hope the next buyer wasn't any better at judging a car than he is. I got a tiny bit more respect for his mechanic for not wanting to do it.
I think he sells without reserve because he needs to get some portion of his expenditures back to keep going. I suppose the show earnings make up for the losses, but even those can't go on forever as people get tired of seeing him make bonehead choices.